Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Section 60 Arlington National Cemetery


Section 60 of Arlington National Cemetery is where some of the men and women killed in Iraq and Afghanistan are laid to rest. I decided to visit this section not only to pay my respects but to find exactly where it is so I could take my groups there . I have been to Arlington thousands of times but I was shocked at the size of this section. It seemed to be thousands of head stones in this section alone. I felt a huge sense of loss.I always felt World War 2 and the Korean War was my parents war. I grew up during the Vietnam War and felt the pain of the military men and women who suffered in and out of battle. When I saw the graves from the most recent wars I felt this was my war. I am just more aware of this war. As I was just standing around people who had lost loved ones were around . They would walk in between the graves stopping at some .Every person who was there had a story. I wanted to talk to all the families  but it was the not the right time or place. People just wanted to spend some time grieving or remember the good times
.I do not know how many people buried in section 60 but I do know some of the graves were so new they did not have head stones.In Arlington National cemetery 27-30 people are buried a day. We all do know more  young service men and women will be buried in section 60. If you have a chance to visit the Arlington National Cemetery please visit section 60. It is a nice walk from the Visitors Center. It will take you about 10 minutes to walk it.If we can have hundreds of thousands people visit the changing of the Guard why not visit section 60

1 comment:

pamela said...

I will appear by the Blog about the interesting things for the visitors to the city Washington...
I like the Blog rely...

Want to know about Udaipur welcome to all fo you...udaipurindiaguide.com